[squeak-dev] Re: A better looking text caret (IMO)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 05:11:08 UTC 2008

[squeak-dev] A better looking text caret (IMO)

***

Stasenko wrote:
>>  > Sometimes it's hard to notice a caret position
in text, because it's
>>  > thin and my display is soo big :)
>>  > This patch draws caret as 5 pixel width vertical
bar. It's much easier
>>  > for my eyes to track it's position in text.
>>  >
>>  > I'm also wanted to make it blinking.. but hmm..
i think it will
>>  > require adding too much for achieving that,
because caret is not
>>  > considered as some kind of visual object in text
morph, and drawn only
>>  > when selection is empty and only during text
update :(

>> You should submit this as a bug report, not an
email

>It's not a bug :)
>It's just another way to draw cursor caret , to
anyone who might like
>it more than current one.

An enhancement is a perfectly good topic for a mantis
issue. I would usually tag it with [ENH].

Mantis tracks issues. So putting a report on mantis is
a perfectly good way to begin to change squeak. The
attention to mail is ephemeral. Here today gone
tommorrow. Mail is a good way to draw attention to an
issue. Mantis is a good way to see an issue followed
up.

A good sequence is Mantis report any clearly
describable complaint. Follow with mail pointing to
the report. Add analysis and useful code to mantis (if
no one else beats you to it.) Then call attention to
mantis issues ready for harvest when a good* release
team is in place.

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

* A good release team is one that respects you. And
trusts your work iff you have earned their trust.