[squeak-dev] Election 2008: Answers from Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Feb 27 06:17:50 UTC 2008

  Hello,

1. Approximately, how much time do you plan on spending on Squeak during the
   coming year (in any kind of unit)?

    I will be still spending some chunk of my time constantly on the
    development of OLPC Etoys.  Also, for making prototypes of new UI
    and end-user application, I'll be using Squeak (probably the OLPC
    Etoys image).  In the longer term, though, VPRI trys to roll out
    new system that are not based on Squeak.  I'll be working on these
    projects.

2. What are in your mind the three most important issues (not necessarily
   technical) we need to address in the coming year?

    Giving somebody(s) the authority of making technical dicisions
    would be important to move the community.

3. What is your view on fund raising and how any such collected money should
   be dealt with?

    For small chunks, simple donations from individuals members in the
    community would be good.  But honestly I don't see some entity
    that offers bigger funding toward Squeak itself.  There will be
    funding for projects that may use Squeak, but only if these
    projects are attractive.

4. What is your view on the ongoing process of making SqueakFoundation a
   not-for-profit legal entity?

    It is making progress and I hope it goes through.  At the same
    time, even if it doesn't go through, that wouldn't be a disaster.
    It is people's willingness that drives the community.

5. Do you think the Team model is appropriate for organising our efforts or
   should we come up with something else?

    Team would work better if there is still a leader.

6. Do you have any specific views on how the Squeak board and the Squeak
   community should work together with the Squeak satellite communities
   (Croquet, Seaside, Sophie, Squeakland, Scratch etc), also referred to as
   "stakeholder communities"?

    Share the contributions and insights.  Something like DeltaStream,
    which increases the visibility of other people's patches and let
    us cherry pick them would be good.

    I don't see a real merging effort of them will happen, though.  I
    wouldn't even think about such effort with the OLPC Etoys image
    and the mainstream image.

7. The squeak.org release is our most important asset. How do you see it
   evolving over the next few years?

    For various reasons such as licensing and people's feeling toward
    minimum systems, I'd think that we would have two systems.  One is
    based on a kind of small system that remotely related to current
    "Squeak".  And another is maintenance versions of current
    image(s).  The former should have cleaner license, but I think it
    is ok to distribute the latter even if some people think that the
    license is murky.

8. Do you have any thoughts on the current relicensing effort?

    I personally think that the license issue is overrated in the open
    source software community.  Anybody can sue anybody after all for
    anything, so there is no way to achieve "100%" cleanness in this
    world.  Nonetheless, we should try to do some "reasonable effort"
    to relicensing.  And, like the Japanese versions and other
    languages version of Squeak and Squeakland, people wouldn't stop
    using, and that wouldn't be a problem.

9. How would you like Squeak to be positioned in the open source world in year
   2012?

    An honest answer is that something much better comes out from the
    project at VPRI and the many members of Squeak community move on
    to it.

10. What do you see as the overall role of the board?

    Sometimes being at the Viewpoints helps, and knowing the POV of
    other language communities such as the largeer Japanese Squeak
    community helps.

-- Yoshiki