[squeak-dev] Election 2008: Answers from Matthew

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:11:01 UTC 2008

I posted my campaign platform. Read it first:
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/81.html

> 1. Approximately, how much time do you plan on spending on
>    Squeak during the coming year (in any kind of unit)?

I am currently spending 1-2 hours per day in hobby work for
squeak, and 3-5 hours per day on weekends. That would include my
board work. I can keep up this schedule at least until August
2008, when I start grad school.

> 2. What are in your mind the three most important issues (not
>    necessarily technical) we need to address in the coming year?

1. establish forums for the sharing of code and ideas between
   our various sub-groups
2. establish a spec for the release
3. finish the relicense

See my platform article for details:
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/81.html

> 3. What is your view on fund raising and how any such collected
>    money should be dealt with?

I've never dealt with fund raising. I would say we should hire
someone full-time to work on the release.

> 4. What is your view on the ongoing process of making
>    SqueakFoundation a not-for-profit legal entity?

I don't really get the point, but it seems like a good idea to
smarter people than I, so I'm all for it. Maybe I'll understand
it more once it is done.

> 5. Do you think the Team model is appropriate for organising our
>    efforts or should we come up with something else?

I said in my article, I think the team model is very good, but
it suffers from idealism: We haven't yet seen a successful,
organized team that can act as a role-model for how the rest of
the teams should work. Bootstrapping a successful release team
should be a top priority of the board's, for two reasons:

- Get people excited and make a plan so that volunteers will
  know what needs to be done
- Show people how to organize and run a successful team

> 6. Do you have any specific views on how the Squeak board and
>    the Squeak community should work together with the Squeak
>    satellite communities (Croquet, Seaside, Sophie, Squeakland,
>    Scratch etc), also referred to as "stakeholder communities"?

I think the release team should package up bug fixes for all the
forks of squeak, letting them know we don't consider them
"second class citizens" as opposed to squeak.org and squeak-dev.

Andreas and Yoshiki have both said that a merger would be a bad
idea, so, let's stop pressing the idea of relocating them on top
of a minimal image. It ain't gonna happen. Let's build roads,
not move mountains.

> 7. The squeak.org release is our most important asset. How do
>    you see it evolving over the next few years?

I don't see it evolving at all unless we write a spec on what it
should look like in the future, then make a schedule on how to
get there.

> 8. Do you have any thoughts on the current relicensing effort?

I'm glad Craig made all the effort he has on that front and left
so little for us to do. Thank you Craig.

Finishing this effort will require the creation of an organized
release team to carry out the kernel audit and rewrite.

> 9. How would you like Squeak to be positioned in the open source
>    world in year 2012?

Randal and Seaside are bringing in developers, and if we get a
good release ready for them before they arrive en masse, we
could really make Squeak a respectable system.

If not, we will still continue to be one of the best education
tools that the world has ever seen.

> 10. What do you see as the overall role of the board?

To make the decisions nobody wants to make, and take the blame.

> 11. What actions would you take to promote Squeak as an
>     environment for professional software development?

Pay Randal.