[squeak-dev] Re: Election 2008: Answers from Matthew

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Feb 28 10:43:21 UTC 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 11:00 , Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

>> Oscar> Seriously though.  I consider this the most critical
>> question for the
>> Oscar> Squeak Foundation.
>>
>> Oscar> Any ideas?
>>
>> I think he was spot on.  If you want Squeak to be taken seriously
>> as a
>> development platform, you need to find people like me who can take
>> an open
>> source product and provide all the infrastructure around it
>> (tutorials,
>> courses, books, trainings), and find a way to be financially self-
>> supporting.
>>
>> For success in the marketplace, you need:
>
> *very* good points. I put the Squeak-based products under your
> lines; comments+corrections appreciated.
>
>> * a stable usable working product
>
> EToys, Seaside, Aida, Croquet, Scratch, Plopp, Sophie, but not Squeak?

The problem is that you have to become a Squeak expert on your own
before you could confidently start such a project. It's virtually
guaranteed that you will run into issues with Squeak in any serious
project. It takes a lot of experience to work around all the quirks.
Squeak already is a very powerful tool for experts, but for regular
users (like, someone not subscribed to squeak-dev) there really are
too many obstacles to be productive.

- Bert -