[squeak-dev] re: Delay time question

Robert F. Scheer rfscheer at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 29 05:07:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 14:51 -0800, Robert F. Scheer wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 12:59 -0800, Craig Latta wrote:
> > Hi--
> >
> >       For what it's worth, the Center for Contemporary Research in Music
> > and Acoustics at Stanford University (CCRMA) offers packages to make
> > RedHat and Fedora Core Linux suitable for very-low-latency multimedia
> > use[1]. I've seen demos of it and it works.
> >

> > -C
> >
> > [1] http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software
>
> And also for Ubuntu there's:
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-rt
>
> which I'm testing today.
>
> - Robert

I did a new install of ubuntu and squeak and compared linux-rt with the
standard kernel.

The delay bag test results were so poor on the -rt kernel that there's
no need to trouble with posting them from the test computer.  Half the
delays were 4ms.  The rest were basically worse.  Some up to 45ms.

The stock kernel was >98% at 1ms and the rest up to 16ms.

- Robert