[squeak-dev] future systems (was: Election 2008: Answers from Yoshiki)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Feb 29 20:44:35 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2008, at 21:19 , Jeroen van Hilst wrote:
> > This makes me very curious...
> > Is  this referring to the Pesi/Coke thing ?
> >
> > Could you / someone tell more about this?
>
> I recommend to read this first, and the papers on the site, and then
> ask more concretely:
>
> 	http://vpri.org/html/work/ifnct.htm

And I would really recommend that everyone in the Squeak community read
the first paper in the "articles" link on that page. The 50 page report,
called "Steps Toward the Reinvention of Programming", shows the results
of the first year of their five year NSF mission (to explore strange new
representations, to seek out new objects and new transformations, to
boldly go where no nerd has gone before...)

http://vpri.org/pdf/steps_TR-2007-008.pdf

I have not seen about half of what is described here mentioned anywhere
else, even on the fonc mailing list. It would be fun to have some more
information about this stuff. I enjoyed figuring out Chuck Thacker's
neat FPGA processor, for example, since I had been discussing this kind
of thing with three friends (separately, unfortunately) since last
November. The "self expanding" Cairo reminded me of Henryk's AspectBlit
and is very important work.

Cheers,
-- Jecel