Documentation options

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 18:01:46 UTC 2008

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ralph> People talk about language changes all the time, but they rarely
> Ralph> happen.  If you want to change Squeak, it is easier to do it by
> Ralph> changing tools or libraries, not by changing the language.
>
> Agreed.
>
> As I said a few months ago
> in http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=12469219&framed=y
>
>   I just don't like version creep in languages.  Smalltalk has remained
>   relatively stable for nearly 3 decades.  Anything to disrupt that has got to
>   meet a pretty high standard for me personally
The whole point of smalltalk is that it is malleable.

The chunk format whose reading process can read literally anything comes
to mind as my favourite example of the power of this malleability.

So what is the point of implementing #compilerClass on Behavior, if it
becomes socially unacceptable to customize the compiler for different
situations, one of which is documentation.

=note We bemoan the fact that Squeak is lacking documentation (in-image)
yet we have very limited facilities for placing our documentation in or
alongside our code.

__END__

Keith