IPC with Squeak

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 11:34:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

thanks to you all for your help.

On Jan 2, 2008 10:45 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Which platforms do you need to support? IPC is inherently platform-
> dependent.

For the time being, Mac (my development platform) would do, but having
Linux at the same time certainly wouldn't hurt. Windows would have to
be done provided what I have in mind (a) worked, (b) were portable to
Windows anyway and (c) were interesting for others. ;-)

> Sockets aren't all that bad I'd say, it's a standard way of doing
> IPC. Ian's new Socket Plugin supports all socket families so you do
> not have to use network sockets. Has not been tested on non-Unix
> platforms yet AFAIK, though.

Is that pre-installed with the available VMs?

> Another possibility would be using pipes - I had the OLPC image
> communicate with a Python wrapper via AsyncFile for a while (we now
> switched to the DBus plugin).

That's probably the standard AsynchFilePlugin, right?

> How would you do it if you were coding in C?

I'd be asking pretty much the same questions due to lack of experience. :-P

Best,

Michael