Squeak on a flash drive

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 05:06:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008 10:58:29 pm David Zmick wrote:
> thw proble was that i only had about 3 mb of space left, because i had an
> exploit framework(metasploit), a password cracker, and some other security
> stuff on it(all used for legal reasons), but i got rid of all of it, so now
> the problem is solved.  I have run linux off of a flash drive on numerous
> ocasions, but my parents don't like it when i boot my grandparents computer
> in linux :(  i'm saving money to get a laptop to avoid all these problems
256MB is quite a squeeze for carrying your own environment. You may want to
use a 1/2GB flash memory for such purposes. AFAIK, no distro ships with
squeakvm in it and the ones in the public repositories are pretty dated :-(.

It is easier if you carry the OS ISO (e.g. MEPIS 7), VM and images on a single
chip and boot a system off the ISO image. Carry a live CD as a backup for
those cases where machines can't boot through USB.

Subbu