Documentation Suggestion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jan 6 05:16:45 UTC 2008

On 5-Jan-08, at 7:40 PM, Robert Hawley wrote:
> I agree about the problem of getting people to write content.  That
> is what I
> think is good about my idea of providing direct entry points to a
> structured
> documentation site from the Squeak image.  It provides the kind of
> immediacy
> that is currently lacking.

Well I can only hope you're right and my crumbly-old-bugger cynicism
is wrong. But I  wouldn't bet more than a large latte on it....

> Rather than just allowing links to be added (as in the mechanism you
> describe)
> what I am suggesting is that links should already exist in the Squeak
> image.
Hmm, one could make implicit links by deriving from the class/method
names. That would provide for a simple, single, bit of documentation
for each method (and by similar technique, class, perhaps, protocol,
categroy and maybe package).

It would certainly be something of an improvement; I won't deny it. It
ought to be fairly simple to extend the browser to try to load that
doc from the web each time you look at a method - but make sure it
doesn't slow down my browsing or I'll be after you with an elephant
gun! - and to provide a way to submit doc as well.

Better yet, consider an idea that has been mentioned before and that I
think is the 'real' answer;
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-September/120333.html

As you say yourself, comments for the actual code are only a small
part of the problem.

tim
Strange OpCodes: GSI: Garble Subsequent Instruction