beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jan 9 03:09:35 UTC 2008

>>>>> "chunsj" == chunsj  <chunsj at embian.com> writes:

chunsj> I agree with you on using GST code for squeak is not clear.

No, we don't agree on that.  I'm saying that it's *clear* that using GST code
(or any derivative) *for the squeak core distro* is *not allowed*.

chunsj> But frankly speaking, for me, GPL seems better one in terms of social
chunsj> wealth; it can make it sure that the result be returned to the
chunsj> community/society.

And here, we don't agree on this either.  The GPL trades one set of freedoms
for another.  The BSD/Apache/MIT/Perl license trades a different set of
freedoms for another.  There's is nothing inherently *better* about the GPL.

But the fact is, the GPL and the BSD-family licenses do not play well
together, and Squeak is under a BSD-family license.  Therefore, if you *want*
to *ever* contribute to the Squeak core distro, you clearly cannot look at GST
to copy code, and to be safer, you cannot even *look* at the code in fear of
implementing Squeak code in a provably similar way.  Please maintain a
clean-room distance!