beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:38:42 UTC 2008

As a result of this thread, I'm happy to explore an option I didn't know
existed. I've been using Ruby for things that Squeak doesn't do well or that
I don't want to have to manage across all the various versions of images I
use.  ...

On Jan 9, 2008 8:02 AM, Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org> wrote:

> <snip>
> Agreed.  But taking conclusions from looking at one file rather than,
> for example, reading the FAQ (e.g. http://smalltalk.gnu.org/faq/32 which
> says "The class library is licensed under the GNU LGPL") is a clear sign
> of prejudice.

I can see that possibility but it's not unreasonable IMO to expect that GPL
applies to everything since there is no clear separation of VM and class
library. It might be helpful to somehow emphasize that the VM and library
have different licenses - perhaps make that FAQ obvious in the distribution
and/or on the front page of the site.

Laurence