Dependencies in Monticello?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Sun Jan 13 20:18:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 19:14 +0100, Jason Johnson wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 5:52 PM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:
> >
> > Nowadays I do not use any monticello dependencies. For deployment
> > I hardcode the versions into a Installer script.
>
> Have you looked at Universes?  If so, what made you decide not to use
> them?  Is there something missing/also annoying?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean using the online universe
or maintaining my own? In either case it isn't practical for me.

- I can't use online universe. On my production system I have to
  have control over the versions being installed.
- I wouldn't use my own universe. What could I gain by adding
  the complexity of universe.

This is only a short answer. If you like I can elaborate on this.
I use universe only for first time installs. For anything else
it is rather useless for me. Most prominent use case for me is
to keep my squeak-dev image up to date :)

Norbert