Dependencies in Monticello?

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Jan 14 11:40:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 21:48 +0100, Jason Johnson wrote:
> Well, I just thought using a Universe would be simpler then some kind
> of configuration script.  Then when you decide a new version is ready
> for prime time you can press a couple of buttons in the Universe
> browser instead of updating a script.
>
> Though it sounds like this isn't simpler for you, and that was what I
> was really wondering in my query.  I wonder if something could be done
> to change that and make it easy enough to do that it would be a
> productivity boost for you.

I don't think universe is the right tool for development because:

- it is tedious to create a new version of a package. Doing that
  frequently will become annoying
- If you change 3 packages you need to do this 3 times
- I don't even know how I could update a headless image with
  universe
- I know pretty well the depencies of my packages

If I understand MCConfigurations right it is the tool that does
exactly this. You can take a snapshot of the packages by pressing
one button. With the .mcm file you can update the images of your
co-developer as well as a headless image.

The focus of universe is more of a "release" system not a developer
system.

Norbert