Simple Image Based Persistence in Squeak

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Jan 15 13:30:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:02:14 +0100, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>
wrote:

> Why I like a concept of image as a database? Because it simply works,
> and that is my concrete experience. Also a fear of losing data is mostly
> baseless - a chance of losing data is very small, again from experience.
> So small that it is close to a chance of loosing of data on relational
> databases, I would say. That is a strong wording I know, but let we at
> least start thinking about this probability.

One issue I have with image-based is it is all or nothing. I want to be
able to make small incremental changes, and persist those changes.

The other issue for me, and the real deciding factor, is you can't fit the
amount of data I need persisted in an image. I expect its going to be
measured in hundreds of GB, and the image is just going to be a small cache
of recently used/accessed data.

Later,
Jon