A modest proposal (was Re: beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Jan 16 07:48:49 UTC 2008

Hi Paolo!

Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org> wrote:
> OTOH, requiring completely clean-room engineering if features are taken
> from GNU Smalltalk and brought into Squeak is really over the top.  I'm
> pretty sure the FSF doesn't want to be labeled as the free-software SCO...

Could you perhaps post some "policy" regarding these issues on the GNU
Smalltalk site? To make your position clear I mean (and I presume you
more or less represent the gst community).

I am not saying this is an issue, but it could prevent one from
appearing and also make it clear how much cross-breeding can still take
place. Especially since the Smalltalk community is quite "used to"
sharing code, by tradition. And it is quite common that discussions
around specific solutions go along the theme "how do they do it in
Smalltalk X/Y/Z?".

All the Smalltalk implementations and our community(ies) live in
symbiosis more or less - and I personally see benefits with all
different licensing kinds and Smalltalk implementations.

regards, Göran