beware GNU Smalltalk if you want to contribute to squeak

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Wed Jan 16 15:52:54 UTC 2008

> But the point is that MIT allows
> that easy kind of reuse whereas (L)GPL places unreasonable restrictions
> on reuse and sharing[*]. To me, for example it's not clear whether the
> amount of rewrite you did for GST would be considered "enough" by the
> FSF to avoid legal troubles (personally I would doubt it since RMS seems
> to have a very restrictive view on these issues).

I can ask.  In fact I already asked an opinion on a few things that
started from this thread.

> [*] Seriously, do *you* understand the (L)GPL enough to explain what one
> would have to do in practice to satisfy its requirements if one would
> try to use code licensed under it in Squeak?

Leave access to a browser (in Squeak probably the Monticello Browser
too, in GNU Smalltalk the REPL would suffice).  The idea is that the
Smalltalk monolithic image is comparable to a statically linked binary
(heresy I know...).

Paolo