Handling keyboard input on unix when locale set to utf-8

danil osipchuk danil.osipchuk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:48:07 UTC 2008

Heh, the silence (I hope I don't look too inpatient - this topic is
recurring for years now). Janko, let's face the fact that we are losers with
a wrong vm-platform/language combinations :)
I suspect that OLPC team somehow addressed the issue (it is linux based,
most probably utf-8 locale there). I also see UnixUTF8JPInputInterpreter
class in the image - so japanese people also have a solution.

I'm sure that we can do it also, at least by adopting the solution of Martin
Kuball mentioned before (although I would prefer the approach taken in
recent Mac and windows VMs - to add a unicode point code as the sixth field
of event buffer).

But I have another concern now. What will happen to the patch? Will it find
its way to the core VM? Is the unix VM being maintained?

cheers,
   Danil