Handling keyboard input on unix when locale set to utf-8

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jan 18 12:36:11 UTC 2008

Hi Danil,

How are the results of your check? Hardly wait good news :)

And José's question should be answered too: when a patch will be ready,
tested and proven, who will integrate it into mainstream Squeak?

Well, let we provide a patch first, put it into Mantis at
http://bugs.squeak.org, then make a broader test on our dev images, then
  on Damien's squeak-dev ones and if all went well, I think a community
will be persuaded enough to accept the patch into a mainstream Squeak.

Janko

danil osipchuk wrote:

> Hooray - Ian Piumarta (praise him) has already done the major (if not
> all) bit of work. Commits at 3-4 months ago in unix branch actually
> implement the sixth field in event buffer - the ucs4 field.  One has
> only to utilize it in corresponding InputInterpreter (and it will be
> even portable accross platforms in simple cases and one doesn't care
> about older images/VMs)
>
> I just needed to check the svn first (and yes, the unix-vm is maintaned
> - I take back all my rambling)
>
> :) :) :)
>

>         so a chance that UTF-8 is finally ND
>         completely adopted in Squeak is a bit bigger :) And I propose
>         that a
>         patch should be done (complete and well tested) regardless of
>         adoption,
>         which will come sooner or later.
>

>     right, but who does it?
>

>         Such patch will probably break some existing code, but because UTF-8
>         solve a problem once for ever, I think the existing code should be
>         adapted by its authors to UTF-8.
>

>     Andreas Raab did already it for the windows vm and the world is
>     still going round...
>
>     Regards.

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web