About the new compiler, Part I

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 19:45:05 UTC 2008

> So.The Compiler is slower to compile code (factor ca. 4). But then,
> this is not that of a problem. Most people
> will now think about the slowness of loading code with MC, but that
> has multiple causes, the compiler is not
> the slowest thing here... (in 3.9, we managed to speed up code loading
> with MC by a factor of two just by caching
> the class category in the "category" variable of the class objec).
MC will get much much faster in coming versions.

Currently MC does not support Atomic loading. MC1.5 is slower than MC1
because it iterates through all of the changes to be applied in several
passes.

MC1.5 has code in place ready to use SystemEditor to apply changes.
Firstly This does not need to iterate through the changes as many times,
and secondly the code is much simpler overall. This will be enabled in MC1.6

I would not be at all surprised if we cannot gain back a factor of 4 or
more from this.

I would like to extend MC to support binary loading in the future (1.7?)

Keith