Musings about modularity and programming in the large

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 06:24:37 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 8:57 AM, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
> Wy
>
> Module named: #Zork
>         contains: { A, B }

Ok, you're right.  You don't *have* to.  But every proposal I have
seen does in some way (usually importing or specifying which version
of a class you actually meant).

> > As far as confusion, that is a valid concern, but in modern times all
> > development is done in an IDE.  That is, the tools expand our
> > capabilities and I would rely on the tools for this situation as well.
> > The tools would have to operate such that there was no confusion.
>
> I do not believe that. I'm teaching too much oop to eat that cake.

I think you misunderstand me here.  I don't mean the "when I press
this button, please dump these 30 lines of code into my source"
nonsense that one does in a Java IDE.  I was thinking more about
things like Shout that make it faster to digest what you're seeing in
source code.