Real profiling: Why is my UI so slow?

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 05:04:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 10:07:03PM -0800, Jerome Peace wrote:
> This is mostly external observations. At the time I
> reported this I hadn't learned to use the tally tools
> usefully. (I still haven't. They give too much
> information. I want something that will point me
> quickly to the culprit.)

I talked to Bryce about this on #squeak, and he gave several
suggestions:

- In MessageTally reports, look for big drops in time usage from
  a parent to child method. That usually points toward the
  culprit
- Insert logging statements in code. In Keith's Logging
  framework (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3706), I added a
  method just to make logging profiles easy. It helps to see
  when a method is getting called way too often.

I still don't see how to use the debugger effectively to profile
UI's, since events will be posted from the debugger thread, but
screen updates happen in the UI thread, which is impossible to
get a useful debugger on (as far as I can tell)