Tentative of start 3.11

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:33:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:52:41AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Guys:
>
> I send tons of mail to Ralph, but no answer.
>
> Following previous ideas of reach MininimalMorphic from the top, I rip
> several things .

First of all, I am glad you are declaring 3.10 stable.

However, I think it is a bad idea to start a new release without
too much discussion. How about we arrange a meeting on #squeak
at some time when we are all likely available, like Saturday, 2
Feb at 1600 UTC or so, to discuss what we want 3.11 to be?

I agree that MinimalMorphic is a good agenda item for 3.11, but
as Keith and I have been  and many folk down at #squeak have
been discussing for a few months, I don,t think the release
team should continue focusing on a single release, since that is
NOT what squeak is. I summarized my position  in a previous
mail, but I never got a response from you:

What are these previous ideas? How are you planning on managing

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-January/124332.html

Keith can describe his goals with Level Playing Field better,
but basically we will need version stewards for each supported
version of squeak that the release team manages. Keith is doing
a lot of work on 3.7, so he could manage that. You are very
knowledgeable about 3.11 and FunSqueak, and could probably manage
that. I am currently spending all of my time on Etoys on an XO,
so I could steward updates into that release. That would leave
3.8, 3.9, 3.10, Croquet, and Sophie without stewards.

Also, we should decide what we are going to put into the update
stream, or leave it alone for now. MC wasn't working, I doubt
installer scripts would be any better.

We should also discuss what to do about the VM, or if we leave
that unofficial.

What we have now is to different visions on how Squeak should
proceed into 2008, and none of us really knows what the other is
doing. Right now, the most important thing the release team
needs is communication. Edgar is the 3.10 release team, and
Keith, Goran, Randal, and I have been discussing the future a
lot. Pavel and Ralph may have good things to say too. .

I think a meeting is the biggest thing we need to do right now.
How does 1600 UTC Saturday 2 February sound? IRC or Skype would
probably be best.

The biggest problem the 3.10 release had was a  lack of
communication between Ralph and the volunteers. Let us not
repeat that mistake.

> I put the interim image at
> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/Squeak3.11.alpha.7160.zip

I'll check it out soon. What is in it (or not in it)?