Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

David Zmick dz0004455 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:45:18 UTC 2008

I have been wondering how to make smalltalk a more "popular" language,
because i think it is excellent, and i think it would be good to try to get
other people to use it, because, i don't notice to many younger programmers,
like myself, using smalltalk, though, i may be wrong.  One of the first
thing i would think of to promote smalltalk would be writing programs in
smalltalk instead of just making smalltalk better, i am not trying to
discourage improvement on smalltalk, but if all you are developing is a
language for people to continue to develop a language in, it seems like a
waste of time.  The only program I know about, as in big, large scale
programs, written in smalltalk is PetroVR, i may be wrong there to, but i
see smalltalk as an excellent development environment and language, but,
nothing big is written in it, and it will never grow if the community is
focused entirely on making smalltalk better.  I might be completely wrong,
but that is what i have seen, but, i have only really payed attention for a
couple of months, and i think it would be good to see some growth in
smalltalk's popularity. :)