Editing class method sources in single place

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 21:21:49 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 10:03 PM, itsme213 <itsme213 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Fair enough, though I did not see the link to 1000-line Java methods.

Just an observation of human nature.  Someone comes into something new
and assumes it's just like something else they know and can be used
the same way.  They hit little bumps here and there but not enough to
make them stop and think.  It's not until the crash into a brick wall
that they stop and either (a) assume this new thing sucks, leave it
and never look back or (b) realize maybe things are different here and
go out and learn the new thing.

By giving "all the comforts of home" (e.g. an editor that seems to be
used just like their previous language editor was) we remove one more
of those "stop and think" places that would make the "b" people look
around and try to see if there is a better way to do things in this
new place.

> However, just because Smalltalk's pure-objects-image view starts out far
> superior to a file-based view, does not mean there are cannot be better
> variations on an established pure-objects view.

I really hope there are superior ways of doing things then what we
have right now.  But I wouldn't begin my search from old, overly
simplistic ways (e.g. code is just something vomited into a file).