Editing class method sources in single place

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 01:09:07 UTC 2008

"tim Rowledge" <tim at rowledge.org> wrote
>>> - edit window splitting , when you need to code something, while
>>> referring to other methods/sources.
>>
>> This is one good scenario of use where todays browser is not  efficient.
> That's exactly where having many browsers open at once is a big win.

Compared to having just one similar browser - certainly.

> I  typically have 5 - 10 browsers open. A couple where I might be in the
> midst of editing, a couple open on related methods, some available for
> looking up stuff. I've been doing it that way since a 640*400 screen  was
> a luxury. Why add the complication of window splitting when it is  merely
> a poor attempt at what we already have?

Everything you say is true and objective, except perhaps "complication" and
"poor attempt". Why doesn't everyone just mouse + keyboard + search around
using separate general-purpose browser windows for all tasks? Why do people
like hierarchy browsers for some purposes? Or senders and receivers? Or
chasing variations of these? Or the refactoring browser?

If I consider an open browser, or collection of browsers, as a working
context for the task I am focused on this moment (a reasonable approach to
usability); then, if I consider
 - what I want to accomplish in that task,
 - what things I want to see and do,
 - what other things I have to see and do (including selection clicks, menu
actions, moving between windows, number of repeated panels with similar or
identical lists of categories, classes, protocols, methods, action
buttons...),
I see several scenarios where the general purpose tool of multiple browsers
can be improved.

All from a newbies perspective ... but sometimes both newbies and
ThoseInTheKnow bring useful old as well as fresh views of things.

Thanks - Sophie