lessphic? may be a future for morphic

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Jan 31 01:27:31 UTC 2008

Hi Gulik,

Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008 12:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org
> <mailto:juan at jvuletich.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Gulik,
>
>     Morphic 3 supports arbitrary non-linear coordinate systems. I don't
>     understand how you envision rendering over those targets. Morphic
>     3 has
>     a rendering engine that renders on Squeak Display, as current
>     Morphic's
>     canvases with Balloon 2D and BitBlt.
>
>     Please read my documents, and let's talk about coordinate systems!
>     Currently I have implemented Cartesian, LogX and a few cartographic.
>     Watch the demo at Smalltalks 2007 at
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TGhRZUSOo . It is worth watching even
>     if you don't understand my Spanish.
>

> Could you give a few examples of where the arbitrary coordinate
> systems would actually be useful? This is the part I'm confused about
> - you're focussing on them a lot, but I don't see why.
>
> I would have thought it would be up to the application to provide the
> logorithmic coordinate mappings rather than the GUI.

That how it is usually done. So that code is repeated in various
applications, the behavior is neither consistent nor correct (see my
approach to pixel independent rendering), there is duplicated effort,
many bugs appears, etc. Please do read
http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2007/St2007VuletichMorphic3TalkProposal.pdf
. Also read http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_02.html
and http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/TheFutureOfTheGUI_032.html . I try
to make my point there. I don't know what to say but repeat what I wrote
there. If I'm not clear enough or you don't agree with me, tell me!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich