Editing class method sources in single place

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 07:26:26 UTC 2008

Editing class method sources in single place

Hi Sophie,
***
>itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
>Thu Jan 31 01:09:07 UTC 2008
<... ...> see:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-January/124659.html

>I see several scenarios where the general purpose
tool of multiple browsers
>can be improved.

Ah, but the question is by whom? With what resources?
and at what cost?

The pool of "good" smalltalk developers is small. And
the resources for projects have to come from
somewhere.
I can joyfully self fund projects that please my
curiosity. Others have their own criteria.

The multiple browsers that exist now are sufficient to
the purpose of satisfying my curiosity and developing
code.
Or finding and fixing bugs. The screen sometimes gets
cluttered. And that is an annoyance. But it is not a
sufficient annoyance to delve into a repair project.
At least from my point of view.

The other part of the question is what do YOU want to
do about this?

Are you willing to write a more detailed user story?
Delve into browser code and learn enough to create
your own tool?
Hire someone in the good smalltalk programmer pool to
create the tool for you?
(Tim's efforts only costs a few billion euros).

Or search around for solutions already coded. Tweak
has a  browser with one extra level of abstraction.
so when ever you do a new search instead of a new
browser you get a new entry in the top list. You can
go to that list and switch between "browser lists".
So you would need to find someone to port that to the
current squeak.

I say this to encourage you. I love your questions and
discussions on the list. I just wish to point out that
in a moneyless economy other's resources and your
personal contributions need to be considered and
balanced.

As long as the browsing tools are adequate, I can't
see where the resources to improve them will come
from.

Yours in curiosity and service, --Jeorme Peace