Promoting Squeak/Smalltalk

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Thu Jan 31 21:26:32 UTC 2008

but squeak b example is not about developing application nor
developing squeak.
Is it about making people understanding squeak.

On Jan 30, 2008, at 4:24 AM, David Zmick wrote:

> i agree, but i also think that we should develop client
> applications, not just the language. For example in "Squeak By
> Example" you make quinto, and the rest is about developing, you dont
> really make anything, just learn how to make the language better.
> In my java book, there are at least 20 applications you write.  My
> point is, i think smalltalk should be used for application
> development instead of just developing smalltalk.  It seems
> pointless to me to develop a language so that people can continue to
> develop the language, its like an infinite loop.  Thats what i see.

but this is not the case. Fixing bug in library is important too. But
we do not fix the language,
except traits and {} smalltalk did not change in the last 30 years.
Compare to java or any other language to understand (beside Cobol)
what a stable syntax means.

Stef