[squeak-dev] The Primitive: I am not a number- I am a named prim! - SqueakPeople article

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jul 1 03:54:55 UTC 2008

On 30-Jun-08, at 8:27 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> err... a primitive names, will add about same or even more space (in
> fact it will make VM and image both little bigger ). So its unlikely
> that new VM will have less memory footprint, but more likely that it
> would be simplified a bit comparing to old ways how it works with
> primitives.

Well, about 200 methods would get an extra literal (to put the name
in) and about 200 symbols would be interned (for the names), so yes it
would cost a little image space there. The VM size would be affected
by what the C compiler did; sometimes simplifying code a little makes
for a significant size change as CSE etc comes into play. The plugins
are obviously different in structure to plain functions in an
executable - no idea whether they are consistently bigger or smaller.
Probably depends a bit on the OS? Of course, your image may well not
use all the ex-numbered prims and thus may not load some of the new
plugins. If the VM is properly (in my opinion) built to have all
plugins external then the actual working size might be a fair bit
smaller.

tim
A)bort, R)etry, I)gnore, V)alium?