[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Tim M 365nice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 22:45:43 UTC 2008

Hi Damien,

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I'm aware of this problem and I already tried to push the Rio
>>> package this way. I think I failed because I don't see much activity
>>> around Rio. So maybe an inclusion in dev-images is not enough to
>>> advert a package. I don't know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>> I'd hate to see the dev image become a showroom for packages, I'd
>> rather see it continue to be loaded with stuff most developers would
>> load anyway.  A package should probably be fairly popular and useful
>> to even be considered for inclusion in the dev image because as soon
>> as I have to start taking things out of it, I'll stop using it and go
>> back to building my own.
>>
> This is the conclusion I also arrived at. However, things are not
> properly defined: how do you determine the popularity of a package?
> what is the threshold?

>From a newcomers perspective - your images showcase whats possible from a
developers point of view in Squeak. My early experiences of Squeak put me
off for several years - it was an eyesore that only a mother could love (sorry
to be brutal). As a professional programmer used to other tools like Eclipse,
Visual Studio, Dolphin, Visual Age - the bar is quite high and Squeak struggles
to attract new blood in its default incarnation.

I have always tracked it and been curious but the bar seemed too high to
get started - however having a nice looking default image with a good range
of tools that compare nicely "with the competition" suddenly made it easier
to get started and start using lots of the good stuff available.

It seems like the squeak gurus would always start with a pure image and load
up what they want becuase they know whats available and how to do that -
I still struggle learning all the idioms and where to look so having a rich
starting point is a great help.

Tim