[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Victor Rodriguez victorr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:55:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM, Stéphane Rollandin
<lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:

>>> From a newcomers perspective - your images showcase whats possible from a
>>
>> developers point of view in Squeak. My early experiences of Squeak put me
>> off for several years - it was an eyesore that only a mother could love
>> (sorry to be brutal). As a professional programmer used to other tools like
>> Eclipse, Visual Studio, Dolphin, Visual Age - the bar is quite high and
>> Squeak struggles to attract new blood in its default incarnation.
>
> to me that Squeak do not attract that kind of programmer is a fetaure, not a
> bug (sorry to be brutal)

"That" kind of programmer?  What other kind of programmer is there?
Perhaps you have been lucky enough to grow up with Smalltalk,
"untainted" by other languages and tools; but I doubt most squeakers,
even those that read squeak-dev, have had the same luck.

Why do you think this is a feature?  Why are this kind of programmers
bad for Squeak in your point of view?

Squeak *was* an eye sore.  Like Tim M., I was also put off by Squeak
back when I first looked at it.  The color scheme was appalling (back
when MVC was the main interface), and nothing seemed to work right
(the default mapping of the right mouse button is specially
aggravating, and it has not been fixed to this day).

Regards,

Victor Rodriguez.