[squeak-dev] Subversion

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 15:56:40 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 03.07.2008 um 17:07 schrieb Jason Johnson:
>
>> On 6/30/08, Avi Bryant <avi at dabbledb.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I personally believe that we're better off with Smalltalk-specific
>>> version control, but if someone *is* looking at integration with more
>>> mainstream tools, I would strongly suggest they start with git rather
>>> than SVN.
>>>
>>> Avi
>>
>> +1.  If we must chase inferior methodologies, hopefully we can at
>> least not use obsolete variations of them.
>
> Agreed, although git is rather Linux-centric, so Hg might be a better
> choice for a cross-platform system like Squeak.
>
> - Bert -

Having tried Hg, I have found Bzr to be preferable.

Hg doesnt have a lightweight checkout, Bzr does. i.e. you can deploy the
latest, without the whole history.

I have setup a public (ish) bzr server at bzr.warwick.st with 160Gb of
space. We will be using this for managing and distributing the results
of automated image builds in the near future.

best regards

Keith