[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Thu Jul 3 18:31:08 UTC 2008

ok I see I did hurt some feelings so let's be a bit clearer...

there are many serious environments for serious programmers doing
serious jobs for serious reasons. but there are not many things like
Squeak, both well grounded in quality, fun and lively, even in the look:
childish, not serious at all, but tremendously interesting and a real
catalyst for creativity and experimentation.

so when I read over and over people complaining that it does not look
serious enough, my feeling is: why, how come these people are doing
Squeak in the first place ? can't they leave us alone having fun with
our non-serious, colorful, clumsy, unclean mess of great software ?

some people want to kill morphic, others want only to kill etoys, others
yet what to clean up everything with weapons of mass refactoring, more
people just want to get rid of all colors and kill the mouse, which they
did (you know, the animated mouse head with following eyes we had up to
3.8, which is the first thing my young children see when I work in
squeak; and sometime I let them play with it).

I know I'm pushing the thing too far here and that things are not so
simple. but at times I feel the need to state publicly that among all
you people serious and professional (who I actually do respect, with
your own expectations), among *us* there are people like me who like
Squeak as it is, messy and fun and colorful.

the sentence I (over-?)reacted to was the following:

  "As a professional programmer used to other tools like Eclipse, Visual
Studio, Dolphin, Visual Age - the bar is quite high and Squeak struggles
to attract new blood in its default incarnation."

see the bits in it:
"professional programmer" ... so what ? any better than me ?
"used to other tools like Eclipse, Visual Studio, Dolphin, Visual Age"
... so why change ?
"the bar is quite high" ... because we all have to do the same things in
the same way, with the same interface and the same look and feel ?
"Squeak struggles to attract new blood" .. ah yes I forgot, we are in a
cruel world were struggle and competition rule, it's a war actually;
Squeak needs more blood else, else, else what ? what kind of blood
should we perfuse ?

... so, no personal attack intented, and with all respect due to its
author who I do not know at all, this sentence summarize a lot of what I
think heads Squeak to the direction of insignifiance: pushing it in the
Right Tracks, dumb, grey, boring and professional. for what ? who is
going to win anything when all colors are gone ?

Squeak is an amazing, unique environment demonstrating a very unique way
to do programming. if it was not unique, I would not care that it
becomes a standard development tool for serious people. but since it is
unique, I feel compelled to answer back when what I feel is part of its
paradigm, nature, originality is threatened. but of course that's just me.

that's it, sorry for the noise...

Stef