[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 23:08:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Squeak is a test, how fast you can adapt to new ideas & approaches.
> Its a filter which shows, how good you are, as a real professional to
> overcome and throw away 'standard' ways of thinking and open your mind
> for creativity without any constraints which was trusted by your
> previous programming/computers experience :)

+1!

To paraphrase "The Matrix," that Red Pill's a rush, huh?

But maybe there are some people saying to themselves, "Why oh why didn't I
take the *Blue* Pill?"

I am FINALLY capable enough to move around and learn a little in Squeak,
and, like you said, have learned more about programming in months than I
ever did in years of Assembly and Windows programming (not that those habits
and muscle memories don't still exist, of course).  Of course it took my
over three years to get to this point, but Enlightenment is a gift, not
something to be taken, eh?  (Assuming that you are seeking The Truth!)

In terms of looks, though, the one thing I find really nice is the ability
to have native fonts--I simply find them much easier on my eyes from an
actual physical point of view, so I hope that FreeType remains supported!

Rob