[squeak-dev] Smalltalk philosophy

itgiawa fadxv at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 00:23:49 UTC 2008

I'm not sure where the best place to ask this is so if you can redirect me
that would be great.

Lets say instead of an operating system and applications all we ran was
smalltalk. What are some of the benefits that we would have and
disadvantages?

Pros:
* There would be a common interface between EVERYTHING. So now if I wanted
to make changes to a GUI I could do that. The only way to do this in OS X or
windows is with messy hacks.
* Less dependency on standards like XML or HTTP. Instead of everyone having
to learn standards you just build an object and talk to that.

Cons:
* There would still be some sense of "platform dependency." Even though
there is no "operating system" we still have a collection of objects that
preform the tasks of an OS like memory management and cpu scheduling.

* Scaling. Would this be as hard to scale as a giant c/java program?

What else can you guys think of?