[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak-dev Images] About the different flavors

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Fri Jul 4 14:17:59 UTC 2008

Hello Serge,

SS> You can still use FunSqueak.
SS> Ask Edgar about that.
I know.

Everybody can use anything else but main Squeak distribution.

I (mainly) do serious things in Squeak, I use it as intelligent paper
in my project leading job and I have a neural network watching over
quality of a production company.

Nevertheless I like the mouse (as a symbol for the fun aspect). And
the easy way to make Sketches from what I find in the Objects catalog.
And if I had time to learn Etoys I would use them to make dynamic
sketches in my project leading job.

Squeak can do so much more than programming.

And neither FunSqueak nor Edgar's various SqueakLight's can be used
for this work. I look into them regularly, I'm fond of the ideas but
until now every time I tried to make one of them work for me I failed.

I earn a significant part of my money from programming in LISP. I
vastly prefer Squeak over LISP but would I prefer a boring Smalltalk?
Boring as in: "Another IDE with another a nice language".

I met Smalltalk via VWNC and they mentioned Squeak. So I got a
Squeak 3.6 full and I said: "This *is* something".

Just my 2c

--
Cheers,

Herbert