[squeak-dev] Smalltalk philosophy

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Fri Jul 4 15:29:01 UTC 2008

I believe that Dan Ingalls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Ingalls)
once defined an operating system as "whatever your programming
language doesn't provide" with the implication that a good programming
language (such as Smalltalk) would not need much of an operating
system. Keep in mind that Smalltalk came out of the the 1970s, about
the same era as UNIX.  The assumption that there would be a common,
powerful operating system was not really the same then as it is now.

James Foster