[squeak-dev] Subcanvas

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 23:56:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 09:53:52 -0300
Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Hi Gulik,
>
> I know you know this, but I think that the choosing a coordinate system
> is the application programmer's problem, not the framework designer's.
>
> You favor real metric units, i.e. micrometers. However, I prefer
> zoomeable interfaces. The actual size of objects on the screen can be
> adjusted by the user. That's what resolution independence is for!

Well, using micrometers does give you resolution independence. One of the steps of installing this system would be to calibrate your monitor: hold a ruler up to it and make sure than 10cm on screen really is 10cm. Colour correction might also come later.

This gives the UI designer some idea of what coordinates really are. Currently, a distance of "1000" could mean anything depending on the DPI of the screen or paper. This also applies to Morphic3, especially if you're doing fancy things with the coordinate systems.

Zooming in or out of the whole screen might be a future feature.

> Anyway, what is the pixel size for a projector?

Really big :-). We can make exceptions for projectors, although they could be calibrated too if you really wanted to :-).

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Ps. I tried to refrain from speaking about the wonders of the Image
> Processing approach to anti-aliasing and non-linear coordinate systems
> and transformations!

Well done :-).

I only need a simple 2-D graphics API. Hopefully my API will be flexible enough to integrate some of your fanciness at a later stage.

Gulik.

--
Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>