[squeak-dev] Anyone know the following about Slang?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 02:35:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 4-Jul-08, at 6:35 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>> Thanks Tim!  That's what I needed.  Being pointed to the right place.  It
>> has taken 20 minutes to understand the code and 20 minutes to fix it.
>>  Thanks so much!!
>>
> Nice to have actually achieved something this week; it's been one of those
> weeks...
>
> Simulating simulating the VM to gather type data seems like a pretty
> complex project. I can't help feeling it would be simpler and faster to
> simply write the VM cleanly, with decent documentation and specs.

But that's exactly what this project would allow one to do.  One implements
a VM in Smalltalk as cleanly designed as one can.  If implementing a JIT
then include a simulator for the processor.  Then simulate this
written-in-Smalltalk VM and translate this clean design to (e.g.) C removing
polymorphism and generating vanilla code based on the type information
collected.

Igor, if you can produce a Better Slang With Lambas, do please share the