[squeak-dev] Namespaces

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sat Jul 5 08:03:38 UTC 2008

Namespaces is sorely needed in Squeak and I applaud  your initiative. I
suggest you should look at some of the work that has already been put
into namespaces and packages by the Squeak community.

It looks to me as if you are modeling your solution on the very weak
Java metamodel. IMO this is a pity because it leads to an unnecessarily
restricted solution. I suggest UML is a better starting point since its
metamodel is well defined and reasonably consistent. (But it is also
very, very hard reading). It is also very large, so most of it must be
discarded for Squeak purposes.

A UML Namespace is " a set of named elements that can be identified by
name". In Squeak, a Namespace could be a Dictionary of ProtoObjects
without any restriction. Local variables, instance variables,  class
variables,  pool variables,  ... could be defined as Namesapces and
treated correctly by compiler, debugger, etc. According to UML, the
Squeak message dictionary is also a Namespace.

A UML Package is "used to group elements, and provides a namespace for
the grouped elements". The grouped elements are "PackageableElements",
they include Packages, classes, interfaces, collaborations, constraints,
components, ... It seems a good idea to let a Squeak package assume as
little as possible about its contents.

Cheers
..Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway