[squeak-dev] Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Sat Jul 5 12:27:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

Intel among others such as Tilera and NVidia are telling us - yes us
smalltalkers - to prepare for tens, hundreds and thousands of cores on a
single chip. It's up to us to bring this power to our end users - and
ourselves too!

Intel Says to Prepare For "Thousands of Cores"
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/07/02/1833221.shtml
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-9981760-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

What would be nice for a new version of squeak/croquet:

HydraVM rewritten in Igor's new improved lambda+slang+exupery bypassing
C altogether yet interfacing and generating C or Java or Javascript or
Flash or ... as well for those deployment scenarios where that makes sense.

To take advantage of multi-core what is needed is real native
multi-threading per virtual machine + image not simply one native thread
per image. Both are good for various application scenarios. Remember
that a real multi-native threaded image can always just run one native
thread if you want it too while a single native thread virtual machine +
image will not run multiple native threads in the same image space. Sure
multiple images in one program memory space is nice for some scenarios.
I like that too and desire the option to deploy that way with multiple
native threads per image space in one program memory space.

All the best,

Peter