[squeak-dev] Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Sun Jul 6 01:40:10 UTC 2008

Todd Blanchard wrote:
> This was pretty much the messages from Apple at WWDC recently as well.
> Their next os version has several technologies based around this idea.
> The shift is upon us.

Yeah, Apple is talking about two different approaches - program
parallelism with multi-cores and data parallelism with GPGPUs from the
likes of NVidia and AMD-ATI or possibly P.A.Semi (just a wild guess on
P.A.Semi as their chips could be made with many many cores soon).

And NO Smalltalk hasn't caught up yet. Just half a year ago in this very
forum thread people were arguing against generic fully multi-threading
of Smalltalk virtual machines. Cincom is against it. Instantiantions has
been quite and likely won't do much.

Only a few brave intrepid explorers get it and now we have experiments
like HydraVM for croquet/squeak.

Most smalltalks and smalltalkers are deeply stuck in the past of one
native thread. Most in fact are not good at multi-threading with
smalltalk non-native threads!!! It's difficult to learn and get right
which is one motivator behind those wanting to take the easy road - one
native thread per image, but that's the wrong route (in my view and
obviously in others view as well) because it isn't general purpose
enough. It involves hard work. No way around it.

Igor, how will we gain access to writing for chips like NVidia when they
keep it all secret? Use C with CUDA? Or hyjack OpenCL (to be part of
LLVM and clang frontend if I'm not mistaken) when Apple gets it working?

Cheers,

peter