[squeak-dev] Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sun Jul 6 19:21:00 UTC 2008

On Jul 6, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Oh, clearly I misunderstood about Hydra. I thought it could handle
> more than one native thread per image in memory.

Nope, only one.

> My mistake if it can't. Unfortunately I've not yet had time to take
> a look at hydro up close.
>
> The one native thread per image model is an ok idea idea however it
> fails to cover many situations for which multiple threads provides
> the better or even simpler solution.
>
> Besides as soon as you have two threads of either kind you
> essentially have many of the same issues and the same level of
> complexity of issues involved with regards to concurrency and data
> coherency of objects within the image. As soon as you have two or
> more images you have data coherency issues across those images.
> These problems don't magically go away by limiting the native
> threads per image to one.

That's true.  However, it provides a simple way to conceptualize which
threads are accessing which memory; you can then design your
application accordingly.  This simple model doesn't exist with
multiple-threads-per-image (not that *something* couldn't be designed
to play the same role, but it's not immediately clear to me how that
would work).

Best,
Josh