[squeak-dev] Re: Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Mon Jul 7 06:46:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

Peter: You'll allow multiple non-native smalltalk green threads right?

Jason Johnson: I wouldn't.  This is a big source of bugs and confusion.  I would
personally change the ST process model to have "processes" instead of
"threads" (i.e. nothing is shared between them).

Ah, ok. Then you are aiming for the elimination of much of the existing Smalltalk process/thread semantics. That's what I am afraid of.

What other changes do you plan?

Peter: Your "simplified" model doesn't seem to be simple at all. You'd have to
prevent any green threads within the native thread.

Peter: You then push the concurrency processing problems off on to multiple images
and now the problems become data base like concurrency issues and
serialization issues and object identity/version issues.

Peter: You've not gained much and you've limited others needs in the process.

Jason Johnson: Here you just seem to be going off on a tangent without even knowing
what solution he had in mind.  Wonderfully productive way to argue.

No need to get snarky Jason. It is a fine way to get across my points.
You obviously read something into it that wasn't intended. If you don't
like my writing style don't answer the posts, but there isn't any need
to criticize me for it Sir Jason.

Jason Johnson: Why does he need to describe this again?

Heck if you have a simple process concurrency model that you'll be
sending our way then it should be easy to describe it fully and in
detail, don't you think?

You're planning on fundamental changes to smalltalk/squeak and I think
it's very reasonable for a squeak user to ask what those changes are
going to be and how they will work and how they will impact existing
Smalltalk programs that make use of concurrency. Isn't that fair?

To make it simpler maybe someone has a web page on it?

All the best,

Peter William Lount
[ | peter at smalltalk dot org ] value.