[squeak-dev] Re: Re: Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Jul 7 09:48:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:49:06 +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/7/7 Andreas Raab :
>> Peter William Lount wrote:
>>>
>>> Why prevent others from having their needed multiple native threads?
>>>

>> It's not about preventing anything. If you have a proposal for how to do
>> multiple threads per image I will most definitely listen, and if it is a
>> reasonable proposal (i.e., one that can be implemented with bounded
>> resources) I will even try to find funding for it. However, until such a
>> time that there is a proposal I will drop this pointless discussion
>> since,
>> simply put, there is nothing to discuss here. The only available path at
>> this point is by using one native thread per image and consequently
>> that's
>> what's going to happen.
>>

> I have some ideas of using Island/Vat model in future CorruptVM project.
>
> I'm not going into deep detail right now, but the essence of model is
> following:
>
> - an Island is the group of objects sharing same memory region.

s/memory region/owner/ where owner can be sort of "deputy" of memory/VM
monitor. A very interesting concept indeed, thanks for posting :)

I think that can be addressed with a small trick in Squeak's VM and *no*
extra object header (using one of the Metaclass ideas that Alex+my
discussed in Bern for Goya => coloring of metaclass instances).