[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 7 18:19:43 UTC 2008

OK. I have to admit to a little puzzlement here. Why does it
particularly matter what the platform for the website is?

It's not (currently) a particularly complex site. Hell, it could
almost certainly be done in RapidWeaver! What matters to those of us
outside the implementation and care of the site is *the content*.
Unless someone is proposing some staggeringly interesting form of
content that can only be done on one particular platform... who cares?

I'm going to claim some requirements here; I'm sure others will add
more.

platform issues -
a) must work with all reasonably common browsers. duh. I mean, nobody
deliberately tries to exclude viewers, right?
b) must be reasonably easy to work with as a content maker - it's
going to be run by volunteers and you sholdn'tmake thier life more
difficult than it already is
c) must be sensibly secure from crackers. we don't want people
scrawling pro-java trash all over the front page
d) must be something that has a plausible lifetime so we don't have to
change horses
content issues -
e) we need to have a clean and attractive design that makes it really
easy for visitors to work out what on earth the site is about
f) we need to have a really easy way for regular visitors to see what
has changed
g) need a good collection of contemporary screenshots and demo movies
and tutorials
h) need a simple way to get to maillist archives in some nicely
readable way
i) have run out if points. go for it.

tim
Useful random insult:- On permanent leave of absence from his senses.