[squeak-dev] Prepare for Thousands of Cores --- oh my Chip - it's full of cores!

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 20:43:30 UTC 2008

2008/7/7 Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com>:
> It seems that there is a general assumption that threads will remain the
> unit of computational parallelism.  After attending Apple's WWDC and seeing
> some of the stuff in Snow Leopard, I don't believe this assumption is
> correct.
> Simply saying smalltalk threads must map to system threads is short sighted
> I think.  There are new models in the pipe that bear looking at.
> "Snow Leopard delivers unrivaled support for multi-core processors with a
> new technology code-named "Grand Central," making it easy for developers to
> create programs that take full advantage of the power of multi-core Macs.
> Snow Leopard further extends support for modern hardware with Open Computing
> Language (OpenCL), which lets any application tap into the vast gigaflops of
> GPU computing power previously available only to graphics applications.
> OpenCL is based on the C programming language and has been proposed as an
> open standard."
> Apple press release.  The unit of computation is not pthreads.  There is
> recognition that threads only get you so far and it is looking like it isn't
> far enough.

Its just a press release :)

We may call it thread or fiber or string, no matter what, but at base
we having a sequence of operations which should be performed in an
order, defined by programmer (which also known as algorithm).
Its about human's nature and perception: we separate the concept of
time onto three categories: past, present and future.
So, i think the concept of 'threads' will likely to stay until last
human lives on planet :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.