[squeak-dev] Re: Creating an image from first principles

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Jul 8 05:33:23 UTC 2008

 > > > ...do the bootstrap: Instantiate the first process, its first
 > > > context, the first message. Run it in the simulator to set up the
 > > > remaining parts of the kernel image (Delay, ProcessorScheduler
 > > > etc).
 > >
 > > I guess I found that last sentence easier said than done. :)
 >
 > It doesn't strike me as particularly difficiult but then I haven't
 > tried it yet. What problems were you running into?

      Well, it just wasn't clear what all should go into the target
object memory. That's what I consider the meaningful "first principles"
here. Certainly the Fenix team had an idea of this for particular
dedicated applications, but I'm after what's needed for a memory that
can become a full development environment, without any further
assistance from the tools that created it. (This is why I started from one.)

 > [globals]

      Ah, I misunderstood you.

      thanks,

-C