[squeak-dev] Re: Creating an image from first principles

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 8 05:40:47 UTC 2008

Colin Putney wrote:
> It seems a little more complicated than Alejandro's "gestation"
> approach, though. With gestation, the child image is created *inside*
> the parent image, carefully avoiding out-pointers. Then the child image
> is written out to disk with a system tracer.
>
> Something like this is going to be full of subtleties, so maybe
> simulation offers benefits that gestation doesn't. Any thoughts?

I don't know enough about that "gestation" approach. How does it work?
Can I try it? It doesn't seem immediately obvious to me what the process
is like - as an example, where do nil, true, false come from and how are
they made to be instances of the class that is inside the child image
instead of the parent? How is process initialization handled? If anyone
has ever produced an image with the approach I'd be curious to hear more
about the experience, what was easy and what was difficult.

Cheers,
   - Andreas